Allen Co. waives the state opioid settlement plan

ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) – On Friday the Allen County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution to get out of Indiana’s law regarding lawsuits against opioid companies. The board said it would instead initiate its own lawsuit against opioid traders and manufacturers for damage caused by the opioid crisis.

The state passed a law earlier this year restricting the distribution of settlement funds from these lawsuits. According to this legislation, 15% of the state settlement funds must be divided between districts, cities and municipalities depending on the number of inhabitants.

Indiana Receives $ 12.5 Million in National Opioid Agreement

Laura Maser, the board’s employed attorney, said the 15% distribution only takes into account the population of a county’s unincorporated areas and is unlikely to be enough to cover the damage the county has suffered as a result of the opioid crisis. Both Maser and the national attorney representing the county in its lawsuit recommended passing the resolution, the Allen County Board of Commissioners said.

Fort Wayne City Council is discussing an exit from the opioid settlement

“We have certainly been damaged by the opioid crisis,” said Maser. “We had overburdened courts, overwhelmed prisons.”

She added that the district’s health department was also massively affected.

The Allen County’s Board of Commissioners said the county could re-enter the state plan within 60 days of the decision to withdraw.

Comments are closed.