Minors in Addiction Treatment | Degrees & Programs

The field of substance abuse counseling is growing rapidly, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics projecting growth of 23 percent between 2020 and 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations. The growth is expected to be driven by an increase in the number of people seeking help for addiction as well as increasing reliance by states and criminal justice systems on rehabilitation and treatment.

Substance abuse counselors must be licensed, and many work in hospitals, treatment centers or in private practice. In general, substance abuse counselors need at least a bachelor’s degree, and the profession had a median annual wage of $48,520 in 2021, according to the BLS.

If you want to pursue license as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor in the state of Nevada, you can complete a practicum as part of your addiction treatment education. The for-credit practicum provides hands-on experience in a treatment facility, prevention-focused agency or appropriate health care setting and provides both professional networking opportunities and hands-on experience.

Source: https://www.unr.edu/degrees/minors/addiction-treatment

Comments are closed.