A policeman with a “miracle spray” saved the life of a victim of an overdose in Llanelli.
PC Gareth Rees, one of several officers in the force who had been supplied with nyxoid nasal spray as part of a trial initiated in early December, was called late that night to a drunk man who was calling for help locally around town this month.
When PC Rees arrived, the man was passed out and was breathing heavily.
Recognizing this as a sign of an overdose, PC Rees gave him the spray.
“He was conscious within five to ten seconds,” said PC Rees.
“It’s amazing how fast it works, it definitely made a difference for this man.”
The man involved was treated positively and referred to the Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service (DDAS), which was tasked with assisting the Dyfed-Powys police.
The spray trial will run for six months in Llanelli, Aberystwyth, Pembroke Dock and Llandrindod Wells, with the aim of reducing the number of deaths from drug overdoses.
Chief Inspector Christina Fraser, who heads the pilot, said police had used Nalxone in detention rooms for many years, but the introduction of the nyxoid nasal spray meant officers could easily use it on patrol.
She added, “We have voluntarily trained officers to wear and use nyxoid spray as part of our first aid procedures.
“We went live with the pilot on December 1st and I am pleased to announce that we have been informed of its first successful deployment.
“It’s really encouraging to see that using Nyxoid can make a difference in saving lives.
“I am very proud of the officers who have signed up for training in the use and wearing of Nyxoid, and I thank our partners DDAS, Kaleidoscope, Hywel Dda and Powys Health Boards for their support in this study.”
Put your neighborhood in the spotlight by becoming an area ambassador.
Click here to find out more!