Ggood morning, everyone, and how are you today? We are doing just fine, thank you. Gloomy skies may be hovering over the Pharmalot campus right now, but our spirits remain sunny, nonetheless. Why? We will trot out a bit of insight from the Morning Mayor, who would say, “Every new day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.” To celebrate the notion, we are still brewing more cups of stimulation and invite you to join us. Our choice today is gingerbread spice. Meanwhile, here are a few items of interest. Hope you have a smashing day and, of course, stay in touch. We look forward to suggestions, criticism and juicy tips …
A federal jury convicted former Rochester Drug Co-operative chief executive officer Laurence Doud of trafficking opioids to “bad pharmacies” and “dirty doctors,” Reuters reports. Doud, 78, was convicted of conspiring to distribute illegal narcotics and conspiring to defraud the US and could face life in prison on the charge of conspiring to distribute controlled substances. Federal prosecutors noted this was the first case in which a drug distributor and company executives have faced criminal charges for drug trafficking opioids. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2020. In 2019, it agreed to pay $20 million to settle criminal and civil charges related to opioid sales.
Unlock this article by subscribing to STAT+ and enjoy your first 30 days free!
What is it?
STAT+ is STAT’s premium subscription service for in-depth biotech, pharma, policy, and life science coverage and analysis. Our award-winning team covers news on Wall Street, policy developments in Washington, early science breakthroughs and clinical trial results, and health care disruption in Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Daily reporting and analysis
- The most comprehensive industry coverage from a powerhouse team of reporters
- Subscriber only newsletters
- Daily newsletters to brief you on the most important industry news of the day
- STAT+ Conversations
- Weekly opportunities to engage with our reporters and leading industry experts in live video conversations
- Exclusive industry events
- Premium access to subscriber-only networking events around the country
- The best reporters in the industry
- The most trusted and well-connected newsroom in the health care industry
- And much more
- Exclusive interviews with industry leaders, profiles, and premium tools, like our CRISPR Trackr.